In partnership with the community, the mission of the Wallingford Police Department is to enforce the law, protect life and property, and address the specific needs of our citizens.
The men and women of the Wallingford Police Department (WPD) have been proudly serving and protecting the citizens of our community since 1913, when the department consisted of 1 officer serving a population of approximately 11,000 people.
Today, the department is led by Chief John Ventura, Wallingford’s ninth chief, has an authorized strength of 78 sworn personnel and 22 non-sworn personnel, and serves an estimated population of 45,000 persons over approximately 39.5 square miles. Centrally located, the department responds on average to approximately 99 calls for service each day.
WPD is a progressive, professional police department. We continually strive toward service excellence and we are a State of Connecticut Accredited Agency (Tier 3).
The department’s foundation is built on a community policing philosophy that has been strengthened and expanded in recent years. A strong emphasis has been placed on police-community relations and outreach to improve the quality of life for our residents. As such, it is our core belief that these efforts will reduce crime and improve the department’s standing in the community.
- Professionalism. We pledge to take full responsibility for our actions. We will be truthful and dependable and we shall treat all persons equally with dignity and respect. Professionalism allows our department to embrace change, enhance creativity, and seek innovative methods that further supports our Mission.
- Respect. Respect is a foundational tenet of our organization. Respect must begin inward, in the way we interact with each other and accompany each officer in their day-to-day dealings with the public we serve. Only through mutual respect of each other and the citizens that we serve will the Wallingford Police Department reach its full potential.
- Integrity. Integrity requires each employee to exemplify the highest standards in ethical, moral, and legal conduct. Integrity is born out of honesty and is the foundation of the trust the public places in us. Each member must adhere to an uncompromising code of personal conduct, accountable for their actions-and holding others accountable for theirs. Integrity mandates that a police officer always applies the law in a fair and just manner.
- Dedication. Dedication is the value that requires police officers to be ever vigilant and mindful of the oath they took to uphold the law. No matter what the task or the challenges faced, we will display the necessary courage, teamwork, and commitment to overcome any obstacle or accomplish any goal to ensure the continued safety of this community.
- Excellence. Excellence is the product of hard work, diligence and perseverance. We reject complacency and are dedicated to continually pursuing the highest levels of knowledge, skills, and expertise.