- New Hires – Starting pay as of July 1, 2023 is $68,681.60, which does not include holiday pay or shift differential. The top step patrol officer rate is currently $84,739.20.
- Lateral Transfers – Starting pay as of July 1, 2023 is approx. $76,481.60, which does not include holiday pay or shift differential.
- Town-funded pension program
- Pension Drop Plan
- 457B Investment Opportunity
- HSA medical program
- Paid sick and vacation leave
- Paid holidays
- Shift Differential pay
- Compensatory days
- Temporary light duty
- Outside overtime paid at time and a half sergeants rate
Entry Level Requirements
- U.S. citizenship and valid Connecticut driver’s license.
- 21 years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Pass a physical performance, a written, and an oral board examination.
- Undergo a psychological exam, a polygraph exam, and a background investigation, including a criminal record check. No candidate will be appointed to the Connecticut Police Academy if he or she has been convicted of a felony or a Class A or B misdemeanor, or committed an act which would constitute perjury or false statement.
- Undergo controlled substance screening which indicates no presence of any controlled substance not prescribed for the candidate.
- All candidates should understand that falsification of any statement in the application process constitutes grounds for termination.
Selection for police positions is done through the South Central Criminal Justice Administration. Testing schedules and applications can be obtained through their office. They may be contacted at 203-946-6072 or https://www.sccjact.org. Applicants are also encouraged to go to PoliceApp.com for additional testing information.
The Wallingford Police Department is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for its employees and applicants for employment on the basis of qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, political belief, age.